We are thrilled to be one of the few music schools in Mississauga to offer Music Therapy sessions with a wonderful, trained music therapist. Choose from group or individual sessions described below to meet your unique needs. We can’t wait to see your child, or you, thrive!
What is Music Therapy?
Music therapy is a clinical and evidence-based practice that uses music to address physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs in individuals or groups. Trained music therapists use music-based interventions to help improve well-being, manage stress, promote self-expression, enhance communication, and support various aspects of physical and mental health. It can be applied in clinical, educational, and community settings to achieve therapeutic goals.
Common diagnoses and populations who can benefit from music therapy:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Mental health conditions
- Physical disabilities
- Intellectual/developmental disabilities (Down syndrome, ADHD, Cerebral Palsy, Language and Speech Disorders, and others)
- Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia
- Individuals seeking stress relief and relaxation
Common goals and outcomes achieved with music therapy:
- Emotional Expression and Regulation:
- Goal: To help clients express and manage their emotions.
- Outcome: Improved emotional awareness, regulation, and coping skills.
- Communication and Social Interaction:
- Goal: Improve communication skills and increase social interaction.
- Outcome: Improved verbal and non-verbal communication, social skills, and relationship-building.
- Cognitive Functioning:
- Goal: Stimulate cognitive processes, such as memory, attention, and problem-solving.
- Outcome: Enhanced cognitive abilities and mental acuity.
- Academic and Educational Goals:
- Goal: Support academic learning and developmental skills in children.
- Outcome: Improved academic performance, cognitive development, and social skills in educational settings.
Four types of interventions/techniques in music therapy:
|Lyric analysis||Adapting pre-composed music||Call and response||Musical storytelling|
|Music-assisted relaxation||Singing||Free form musical improvisation||Lyric writing|
|Music listening and discussion||Instrument playing||Reflective sharing||Songwriting prompts|
|Narrative music listening||Vocal/instrumental improvisations||Collaborative songwriting|
|Music and memory|
Group Sessions – Age 5-9
In our engaging music therapy group sessions, your child will experience a small weekly class of 2 to 6 students in a similar age range. As these children connect with each other in their unique group environment, your child’s communication skills blossom.
Children will explore creative song-writing, musical turn-taking, improvisation, guided relaxation, percussion instruments, piano and more.
Most importantly, your child will gain new friendships, confidence and important life skills.
Examples of group activities:
- Hello & Goodbye song everyone takes turns saying hello and goodbye to one an other
- Early education: Ants go marching/ other song used to work on counting.
- Turn taking: everyone takes turns singing/playing an instrument during a song.
- Breathing exercises: incorporated into a music/ or improvised music to help with self regulation and anxiety
- Drum/ percussion circle: Playing instruments on a theme/ or to a specific emotion
- Songwriting: Creating original song on a specific theme or changing to words to a already composed song, example “You Are My Sunshine” to change words to be able things that make the child happy
Individual Sessions – Age 4 and up
In our individual music therapy sessions your child, teen or even YOU will experience unique personalized attention from our nurturing music therapist.
With the flexibility to explore a variety of personalized techniques like song writing, singing, instrument playing (such as percussion, drums, piano, ukulele, guitar) musical storytelling, music listening, music-assisted relaxation (to name just a few), your music therapist can design the best plan that puts you, or your child’s, needs at the forefront, improving well-being, physical and mental health that truly give us the power to become better humans.
Annual enrolment fee applies upon booking for sessions September through June.
Sessions are subscription style with equalized monthly fees debited on the 1st of each month.
Sessions are available on a weekly basis only.
Sessions are ongoing throughout the entire year.
Happiness Guarantee: If you are not satisfied after the first 4 sessions, any additional fees for future sessions will be cancelled or refunded.
Notice of withdrawal must be made 30 days prior to the 1st of the upcoming month for withdrawals September through June. Cancellation fee of one month of sessions will apply for termination of sessions without the proper notification.